Thursday, April 2, 2009

Jesus is okay with me being extreme

I would like to take credit for my mom being awesome. I give numerous opportunities to practice and prove her capabilities as counselor, friend, and best mom of the year award. It was no different a few weeks ago when I called my mom freaking out, talking a hundred miles a minute about a personality flaw I've just now discovered about myself. "I'm Extreme, I crave attention"! This very conversation would be an example of how extreme I am. Of course, my thoughts were disoriented, making no sense, yet concluding that "I don't know how to stop being extreme because I don't want to be boring". Of course my mom asks me what in the world I'm talking about? My answer: "Mom, I take a cup every where I go! If I stop bringing cups, people notice. The way I eat, draws attention. The fact I take walks is a big deal. I want to go to Chicago or Seattle, partly because I'm drawn to challenge and inner cities, partly because of shock value. I will stop dating because dating doesn't work for me." Mom's 1st observation: "I don't think it is bad to carry a cup everywhere. If you want to carry a cup, it is okay. It is not a sin." Poor mom. Mom's 2nd observation: "You can't go to extremes just because something isn't working for you. Don't run away. Find balance." For this specific conversation, mom is right. However, by nature I'm an extremist so my problem is not going away. Therefore, the answer is found in how I channel my extreme tendencies.
Reading Scripture, I find Jesus to be a bit of an extremist. His point is well taken in the most extreme environments: Jesus' ability to stand against Satan's temptations is a great example, but Jesus takes it to the extreme when this situation is after a 40 day fast. No one doubts Jesus' ability to heal the ill, but I think Jesus was trying to make his point when he waited a few days before going to heal Lazarus, who was now dead. The point: It is extremely awesome for Jesus to not only heal the sick but to make the dead alive. Even Jesus' birth was extreme; it gained the attention of kings. As a boy, he taught the teachers. As an adult, he was the extreme example of social faux pas, talking to women, samaritans (ethnic violation), town sinners, challenging Pharisees (those that followed Old Testament law for a living), loving the poor. Most extreme: dying on a cross (shameful death for a criminal) while innocent, for people that hated him. He gave up perfect union with God, became the sin we created because he loved us so much. This extreme love sure did catch my attention.
After realizing I worship an extreme God, I've decided it is okay for me to be extreme as long as my reasons for being an extremist is the same as his. I'm extremely selfish but I pray all my energy for myself is transformed into a desire to bring all attention to Christ. I like to challenge those around me as well as myself. I pray my challenges are not a vain attempt to build my pride of my knowledge or abilities; instead, a godly challenge edifies all involved to surrender to God because he is the source of knowledge and ability.
Can't wait to carry my cup to Seattle!

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy you're extreme, I wouldn't have it any other way!
    Love you, Coregeous!

    ReplyDelete