Thursday, January 1, 2009

Definition of Resolution

I'm not sold on the idea of a resolution. The word gives the connotation of the intentions of doing something rather than the determination better suited for the definition. Thus, resolutions committed at the beginning of a hopeful better year are laid to rest by February. The intentions to make life better gets lost in the shuffle of busy schedules and responsibilities. We don't do the things we are convinced will make us happier because we are too busy being enslaved to the things we think are necessary.
Before I continue I would like to clarify any potential misunderstandings. This is not my promotion to live for the health and wealth happiness that is so deceivingly desirable. Instead, the is an insight to my philosophy of life. I'm semi embarrassed that anyone would call this philosophy Coreism; regardless that philosophy is an extract from my theology which is the study of my God.
Question... how does any of this make sense? Answer: I don't believe in a resolution because I believe in a way of life. The purpose of resolutions are to be a better version of yourself, unfortunately, a better version of a sinner is still just a sinner. Therefore, I need someone perfect, that needs no resolution, to be my life. God has made me a new creation, given me a new beginning. Nothing I do earns this happiness, it is a gift. I can't fail at life and lose it by February because it is an eternal joy. No pressure on my part, I'm a better version of myself everyday because I have Christ.
Therefore, I like challenges. Things to keep life exciting, out of the ordinary, and gives me better opportunities to be bold as my new version. Challenges expect failures at times but in turn stretches, molds, shapes, and encourages success. I will not regret attempting my challenges in 2009, I will grow from them. I see the Bible as a book full of challenges. Love your enemies, finish the race, be slow to speak and quick to listen, Thou shalt not bear false witness, do not gossip...etc. To attempt to keep God's laws is a challenge. We do not fail if we are unable to keep them perfectly because there was nothing for us to earn. Instead, it is an opportunity grow and learn from the attempts to succeed in these challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment