Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Mathematics of the Gospel

I love math. There is no ambiguity in the solution and the means to finding the solution. There are absolutes and rules, rightly applied always give the correct answer. There is no room for interpretation, only truth. Unfortunately, we live in a world when someone feels they have the right to question the meaning of the number three or if the sum of two plus two really equals four. Why can't it equal five?
I find myself giving the gospel the same treatment. Although in reality the gospel=Salvation; Salvation=Christ; therefore gospel= Christ, I begin creating my own system of truth: gospel= Christ + X. Somehow my life has not added up right. Things are missing I feel are owed to me. Suddenly I find myself sulking because apparently Christ just wasn't enough if I don't have X too. Then I go to Scripture (because that is what all good Christians do) and I find a verse that tells me God will give me X because he wants me to be happy. (Please understand the sarcasm). So I start reading Philippians 4:4-8:

"Rejoice in the lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. and the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-- think about such things."


First glance I hone in on only a fraction of the passage and it looks like this: Rejoice! Do not be anxious. By prayer and petition present your requests to God and the peace of God will transcend all understanding. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-- think about such things.

Do you see the difference? My tendency is to subtract the Gospel from the passage and focus on my own selfish desire! X is not bad in and of itself until I allow it to be the source of my joy. Until it says Christ is not enough! Soon enough my equation looks like gospel=X, eek!
Just in case you were wondering, after careful study I understand Philippians is not God's promise to give me X to make me happy if I just pray for it. Instead, he says don't be anxious be thankful. Be thankful you have a God you can approach with your requests. Come to God with everything and let Him show you what is good for you. God will give you peace in the form of himself, his goodness and his truth so you will not want to subtract Christ from the gospel; He is enough! And you may not understand this peace because it is not what you asked for but it is what you needed. Fortunately, God loves us enough to give us what we need and not always what we want. If it is difficult to stay focused on Christ then train your brain to think only of true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy things; these things will lead you to dwell on the Lord.
Gospel = Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment