Saturday, February 21, 2009

Worship is the Answer

I'm studying ethics. The question of right and wrong, in my mind, is usually accompanied with the implicit question of "what can I get away with and still be considered right"? My professor in ethics uses the example of hormonal teenagers asking "How far is too far" in the sexual context. More appropriately for me, "how far is too far" in the context of my own desires.
Last night I went to a bonfire at my friend's house. The group was a bunch of single guys and girls ready to get real (scary situation). Apparently we have all been burned in the past in some form or fashion. The guys complained of receiving the "you're like a brother to me", "we can still be friends", or "I'm just not ready to date" responses. The girls were troubled with the line between waiting and letting the guy know you are interested. It would be improper to be so forward, yet guys claim they will not risk rejection unless there were a sense of interest. What a vicious cycle singles are placed in. As the night went on, we tried to help the other gender by answering questions dealing with the meaning of flirtation, the motive of pursuit, signs of interest, etc.... Unfortunately, what we came to understand is everyone is different in each of these categories. Flirting can be physical touch, encouragement, laughter, or even just a response to an initial flirting. Motives range from physical attraction to desperation for companionship. A person showing signs of interest may think it is obvious while one receiving them may assume friendliness. No answer was absolute. No hope can be found in fickle answers.
Our final conclusion was men need to step up and initiate while women submit (biblically speaking) and wait. Ethically, is the desire for this companionship right or wrong? Is it wrong to desire a particular person? Some would say of course not, God created marriage for companionship. Did he? Maybe! I'm not convinced my sole purpose of getting married is for companionship, although it is a blessing from God. 1 Corinthians 10: 31 tells me that whatever I do I should do for the glory of God. "Whatever" means everything. Everything I do should glorify God. Glorifying God is worship. I was created to worship. Therefore, marriage is not for my selfish desire for companionship but a life long act of worship. If it were for companionship, God's creation of marriage between Adam and Eve would imply Adam's relationship with God was insufficient (The Convergent Church by Mark Liederbach and Alvin L. Reid). On the other hand, my singleness is not a curse but an opportunity to worship God.
So again "how far is too far?" Maybe we ask the wrong question; Instead our question should be "How is this glorifying God?" How is my desire for a particular person glorifying God... or does it hinder me from worship?

No comments:

Post a Comment